The Art of Motorcycle Safety
This past August, Michael Scott “Cactus” Moser, husband of country music singer Wynona Judd, veered across the center divider of a highway and crashed into the side of a car that was traveling in the opposite direction. He suffered serious injuries, including the loss of his left leg.
When you lack the protection of being in an enclosed vehicle, you’re more likely to be injured or killed if you are in an accident. The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that in 2010, approximately 82,000 motorcyclists were injured and 4,500 motorcyclists were killed. Motorcyclists are about 30 times more likely than are other drivers to die in a crash and five times more likely to be injured.
Here are some safety rules that increase the likelihood that you won’t become a statistic:
- Wear a helmet. Studies show that helmets reduce the risk of death in a crash by 42% and the risk of head injuries by 69%.
- Wear other protective gear. Other riding gear such as protective gloves, jackets, pants and boots, protect your skin from abrasion.
- Make sure that you are trained and licensed. Nearly one-third of fatally injured motorcyclists were improperly trained and licensed to drive a motorcycle. In 2010, 21% of those killed did not possess a valid driver’s license at all.
- Properly maintain your motorcycle. Indiana law has specific requirements regarding the operation of your motorcycle, such as brakes and lamps being in good working order.
- Follow the rules of the road. Observe traffic laws, especially the speed limit.
- Passenger safety. Make sure that your passengers are as well protected as you are. Reconsider having children as passengers.
- Never drink and drive. In 2010, 29% of fatally injured motorcyclists in multiple-vehicle crashes had a blood alcohol concentration at or above 0.08 percent (42% for those in single-vehicle crashes).
Motorcycle accidents often result in loss of life and limb. Even cyclists who are not at fault find that society and the courts may be biased against them. If you have been in a serious or minor accident involving a motorcycle, we provide assistance in this area and are happy to help you get the compensation you deserve.